Tuesday, May 25, 2010

CBT and panic?

right im getting my sessions now on this BUT my therapist wants me to overcome my fear of meds by taking them, will this honestly help me overcome it or just make me worse?
Answer:
Hi,

it depends on how long you have been having these sessions but if this is your inital few sessions asking you to overcome your fear that quickly is abit irrational and insensitive of them. Im not sure if your actual panic is caused by medication (or the fear of it should i say) or you suffer from anxiety and panic about other things too and are just afraid of medication.

Sometimes with medication we get ideas into our heads that it will make us different or control us, but when we think about it, firstly this is usually not the case and secondly, are we not being controlled and made act differently by what we are suffering from? I have recently started taking anti-depressants, i feared them and stayed away from them for years no matter how suicidal i was. Yes there have been some short term side effects of nausea etc but I have felt such a benefit.

If you don't feel comfortable with yoru therapist or feel he doesn't understand you can ask for a different one...or simply tell him how you feel and tell him you don't know if it's right.. the treatment is about you getting better, not about them and their profession...do whats right for you!

Best of luck with everything! xxx
I don't know, I've been scared of taking meds but am getting better thru looking at why I've been scared....dad very ill and died when kid etc.
my therapy just a different approach...don't like CBT.
Good luck xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net