Tuesday, May 25, 2010

CHANGES>>I dont enjoy my job like I use to.. Stress?

I am self employed and work many hours for what seems like little pay, the economy sucks here, and my feild is physical and lately my body is taking a toll. Also the place where my business operates out of (a building) has new landlords and they want to drastically increase my rent or make me buy the place. With this sort of econnomy and my aching body, I am suddenly starting to question myself- Do I want to do this job anymore... seems like all these bumps in the road are making me want to get out the this business, but I dont know what else I would like to do? I see my freinds with cake jobs making way more with less stresss and it kinda gets me jealous. Should I change careers after doing/owning my own business for 15 yrs? I wake up daily, with anxiety, and it turning to depression.. I cant think straight anymore, and work is no longer fun. Constantly dreaming at night about work and all my issues.
WHAT DO I DO??

thanks
Answer:
If you are feeling daily depression and anxiety then yes, you should consider if you are doing the right thing in your profession. Investigate some alternatives such as going back to school or other fields you would be qualified for. Right now, just the economy is enough to make having your own business almost overwhelming. Good luck.

Dusty
Yep, anxiety can turn into depression.

You should probably start out doing some relaxation exercises and then get a sheet of paper and a pen and write down the pros and cons of keeping your own business versus alternatives. I don't know what kind of business you have, so I don't know whether having to move your business would cause a loss in customers or not, but aside from staying where you're at you could find another place to rent or a cheap place to buy, or move to a part of the country where the economy is better. If you were to give up your business, what kind of jobs could you get instead? This could be a great time to try something completely new and exciting, perhaps go (back to?) college for a couple of years and get a (different) degree. One of the important things to ask yourself is whether you want to keep your business because you love it or because you feel you would have wasted 15 years if you quit... if it's the latter, quit now... those years weren't wasted, but you can waste the next 15 if you do something you don't want to do.

Anyway, I hope that helped somewhat... writing down your thoughts can help you a lot with tough decisions. If you keep feeling too anxious and depressed though I'd recommend you go see a psychologist.

Ugh... looks like I overlooked part of your question. What other jobs you'd like to do? Well... what kind of things did you want to be when you were growing up? Take a career test. Talk to a college advisor. Etc. Anyway, you're probably too anxious at the moment to figure out what other job you'd like to do, so first decide whether to keep your business or not. Baby steps, ya know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net