Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Celexa withdrawl, panic attacks, bad doctor?

Ok so I have been getting panic attacks for 2 years. Within the last 8 months they have gotten worse. 2 months ago I went to a doctor about the panic attacks. The doctor insisted I start Celexa, and I argued with them cuz that was the last thing I wanted. She finally decided to prescribe me a VERY small amount of Xanax (.25 mg) along with Celexa. The Xanax was prescribed to last the first 2 weeks. After 1 month of taking the Celexa, my panic attacks became worse. The Xanax was the only thing that seemed to help. I went back to the doctor, this time a different one, and told them I still have panic attacks. The doctor did nothing. After another month of the Celexa I started experiencing things ive never experienced before. I was numb, suicidal, severely out of it, no motivation, gained 15 pounds, depressed, etc. I decided to quit the Celexa (was 10mgs a day) 2 days ago. I want to take Xanax, should I go back to the doctor and tell them? Im afraid the doctor will think im seeking drugs.
Answer:
If you plan to stop taking any drug, you'll need to decrease your dosage every slowly. You should inform your doctor of your plans.

The reason you started to self-harm is because the drugs increased your serotonin levels, at the expense of your endorphins. Causing pain increases your endorphins-- you're trying to self-medicate by hurting yourself and getting an endorphin release.

As for spot treating your anxiety, I don't think that's going to work without getting some therapy, whether it's psychiatric, or nutrition. (Your brain chemistry forms on what you eat- garbage in, garbage out.)
Wow, I hope that does'nt happed to me. My doctor has me on celexa for depression, 10mgs. I really have'nt seen any changes.It has been a month since I have been taking it
Have you had a problem with drugs in the past??Maybe that's why he refuses to give you anything.
First, please get attention immediately, and from a psychiatrist as opposed to a family doctor or an internist.
Second, you may be withdrawing from SSRI - it can be very bad, and you DO need a benzodiazepine ( like Xanax) just for that. So, the doctor will not think you are drug-seeking.
Third, while Celexa did not do much good for you, thre are plenty of patients whom it helps.
Fourth, there are other, non-medicinal ways to treat panic attacks - examples are biofeedback, cognitive behavioral therapy, hypnosis.
sounds familiar. i was taking one of the other ones for smoking, after stopping, i became depressed, even suicidal. i told my doc and she thought i was experiencing these things because i had some type of chemical imbalance, so she put me on a different one! the new drug caused impotence, so she put me on celexa, which i kinda tolerated for many years until my blood pressure escalated to dangerous levels. ifinally got off of it and will never take it again. nor anything like it. i won't even take advil anymore. what really helped was a new friend who i golf and fish with all the time. i try to never stop moving- it works for me.
10 Mg isnt enough for anything.You need to be taking at least 60.Xanax is addictive and just a seditive...it wont do anything for panic dissorder.
It seems clear that the Celexa simply does not agree with you. I took it for a month, and had to stop it; it made me feel so awful!

Some people do have very intense reactions to the SSRIs; I don't blame you for stopping the Celexa! I stopped it quite quickly also, over a period of four days, and I then felt so dizzy for two weeks that it was awful.

I think what you really need to do is insist that your doctor refers you to a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist will then diagnose you properly - something your doctor hasn't really done, it seems to me.

The psychiatrist will know which medication to give you, and of course you must tell him about your reaction to the Celexa.

10mg of Celexa is a small dose, but you might feel a bit rough for a week or so, then it should pass.

The psychiatrist might give you Xanax, but as I think this might be addictive for some people, he might try you on another anti depressant, because the right one will ease your panic attacks.

Don't despair - you just need to see a good psychiatrist and get the right medication!
If xelexa was making you suicidal and self harming etc you did the right thing getting off of it. Antidepressant type drugs probably will never agree with you. I would be very careful with xanax. It can be very addictive and the withdrawal symptoms can be pure torture. You may develop mental health problems with long term use of xanax. Research benzodiazepines and read some of the personal stories out there on benzos like xanax and other benzo drugs. Xanax will seem like and angel at first but a lot of people (not everyone though) quickly find it is the devil and end up sick with lots of horrible symptoms with long term use.
I noticed that you said that all you go to doctors for is sinux infections. I may be shooting wildly in the wind but will say that antibiotics in the fluoroquinolone family of antibiotics can often cause anxiety and other symptoms. They are chemically related to lariam.
Your experience with drugs is very common unfortunately and there is big big money in these pills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net