Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Celexa Question?

This is a rather shallow question, but i just went from 10 mg of Celexa a few days ago, to 20 mg, now i find all i want to do is sleep, anyone else on this med? and did you also want to sleep alot? and how long before im not tired anymore? at least im not depressed ;)
Answer:
I am currently taking Celexa 40mgs @ bedtime. You may want to discuss taking it at night instead of during the day. This is the only depression medicine that has helped me.
If it has only been a few days it should not be very much longer before you are not so tired. When I took it in the morning, I was exactly the same way, I wanted to sleep so I started to take it at bedtime, and it has helped me rest. I would recommend taking it at least one hour before going to bed. It should help you sleep better at night and you will eventually get rest.
i became extreemly appathetic when on that drug. i also wanted to do nothing but sleep. you should let your doctor know. so they can put you on the right mads. ask about other medications.
Read the literature on the side effects on the drug. You might
need to contact your doctor. A drug shouldn't make you want to sleep all the time. You need something to keep you from being depressed, but still allows you to function.
My son (24) was prescribed Celexa .

The first dose made him so wired and made him hyperventalate, wild heart rate. high blood pressure and it was a bad experience for sure. We ended up at the hospital. It was given at night, then the Dr. said, I should have given it in the morning

everyone is different, Tell the doctor.
yes, although people who need to take antidepressants usually already have problems with sleeping (not enough or too much), it is very normal for a drug to affect your sleeping pattern . . . i was using celexa and after about a month, because my energy level was dead low, my doctor prescribed another different type of antidepressant to help with my energy, because the celexa was working for my emotional symptoms and she didn't want to take me off of it . . . your doctor might do the same thing or maybe take you off celexa and put you on another drug

BUT . . . it was only a few days ago that you increased the dosage . . . give it at least a week or 2 for your body to get accustomed to it . . . if it is still making you tired after 2 or 3 weeks, talk to your doctor
Yes, I too felt sleepy at 20mg. My doctor added 150mg of Welbutrin to the celexa and it helped a lot. It was a good combo. I found it better to take the Celexa in the afternoon and the Welbutrin in the morning.
I had exactly the same problem when on Celexa; I was yawning the entire time and could hardly stay awake.

It's quite a common side effect, it seems.

I'd suggest that if it doesn't get a lot better within two weeks, you phone your doctor and explain. 20mg is the usual dose for depression; your doctor may increase the dose to see if that helps; don't alter the dose yourself, only with medical advice.

Prozac is more stimulating than Celexa, so you may be better off switching to this, or one of the newer anti depressants, the SNRIs, e.g. Cymbalta.

Don't stay on an antidepressant that makes you this sleepy; they're meant to give you energy and enthusiasm, not act like sleeping pills!

One word of advice: if you stop taking Celexa, cut it down gradually, over a week or so. I stopped taking it too swiftly and experienced terrible dizziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net