Sunday, October 25, 2009

Can someone tell me their experiences with "brain shivers" from discontinuing an antidepressant?


Answer:
Yes I had these whilst reducing my dose of celexa to switch to zoloft. I also had them whilst getting on the celexa in the first place. From what I've read Effexor can be one of the worst for this. But it is a normal withdrawal symptom so try not to worry.

It does pass. It's unpleasant I know but it's not forever, just give your body a chance to adjust. If it's really bothering you perhaps you need to consult with your doctor over reducing the dose more gradually.

The best advice I can give for weaning off anti-depressants is to look after yourself. Eat well, rest lots and try to relax. It's not one of the most pleasant experiences but it will get easier. Good luck
i dont know what brain shivers are, but if i forget to take my zoloft, after a day or two i get what i call "the swoops".
its a withdrawal thing. my doc said that with zoloft its somewhat uncommon, but not unheard of. i beleive the main thing is that you wean yourself off very very slowly. expect some discomfort however, and know that it will pass eventually.
all the best :)

yes, the swoops are like head rushes, sudden dizziness i guess. and now that you added"electric shocks" i know exactly what you mean. they suck! im so sorry you are going through that. it wont last though...hang in there!...xox
I went cold turkey from an antidepressant once, which was a very, very, very, very bad idea. I got the little electrical shocks/brain shivers, amongst other things.

A couple of years later I went from zoloft to effexor, by decreasing one and increasing the other week by week. I got the occasional brain jolt, but not as bad as the above mentioned situation.

I'm now going back to the zoloft (effexor made me gain weight and frankly I can do that by myself for much less money ;o) and decreasing by 25 mg every two weeks. Having said that, blood pressure is more serious then having a bigger belly. I would definitely discuss this with your doctor to see if there's something you can do or take to help while decreasing your dosage.
This is very common for people who are decreasing their dose of medication, especially with Effexor. You need to tell your doctor and get advice; ask if they can tell you how to best decrease your dose so as to minimise these horrible withdrawal effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net