Saturday, October 31, 2009

Can you stop taking Zoloff cold turkey or do you need to stop over a period of time.?

Been taking for a year now and want to stop.
Answer:
you need to stop gradually over a period of time and under a doctor's supervision
talk to your dr first and he will help you decide whats best for you.he also will prescribe a lower dosage til finally you can come completely off of Zoltloff.
You can stop taking Zoloft 'cold turkey', but you might experience some unpleasant side effects and a return of your symptoms. I know that antidepressant medication can be hell, so the physical side effects will be nothing compared to what it's doing to you. Most of the time people who go on antidepressants will relapse when going off of them because they never took the effort to heal from their ailment. Often therapy is required to cure mental illnesses such as depression and anxiety. There are people out there who do need these medications long term, but it's not as common.

Since you want to quit the meds, you could ask your psychiatrist about helping you taper off, but I know that a lot of doctors prefer you stay on the meds and will take as long as possible to taper you off of them. It keeps you coming back to them. This way, they keep making money. If you no longer need psych meds, why see a psychiatrist right? He may also refuse to take you off because you could relapse, but it is your right to refuse medications at any time. If he refuses to help you quit, tell him that you are quitting them either way. He may threaten to have you put in the hospital, but without evidence to suggest that you are a danger to yourself, it would be tricky and this is just an empty threat. It's more work for him to put you in the psychward than not and if there is anything I know about psychiatrists, I know that they are lazy.

On second though, it might be best to just stop on your own. This way you can avoid any nasty confrontations with the psychiatrist that may lead to your involuntary commitment when all you have to do is cancel your next appointment and quit the meds. Good luck!
i took zoloft for about 1 year and was able to stop cold turkey with no problems but every person may not have the same experience from the same meds, hopefully you can stop with no problems good luck to you
You need to talk to your doctor about it and ask how to taper off. Quitting cold turkey is a bad idea. I had an insurance issue about a year ago and ended up not taking my antidepressant for about a week (stopping cold turkey). I got really bad chest pains that took my breath away and ended up in the emergency room because I thought I was having a heart attack. It turned out that it was strong muscle spasms caused by stopping my medication suddenly. You never know what strange side effects there might be - so please be careful.
I am going on my 5th day of quitting cold turkey. I feel much less anxious than when I was taking the medication. I do feel consistantly light headed but it is bearable. I tool zoloft at 100 mg for 6 months for anxiety. Worked great at first then I grew increasing anxious. I can deal with this. Hope it does not get worse.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net