Saturday, October 31, 2009

Can you have "too much" on your plate, leading to a nervous breakdown?

So I go to college and work. I take seven classes and work 50 hours a week. I've been working full time since I was 15, so almost a decade of this without breaks. I sleep about 4 hours a night. Since college, I haven't had time to concentrate on homework and have always barely passed or failed and had to retake the course. Because of this I feel overwhelmed and like a failure. My dad works really hard, and instilled a great work ethic in me, but for example if I come home from work sick or am absent, he'll call me a loser who will end up on welfare. (I just moved back in with him because I'm saving up for bigger and better things).

Lately I've been having panic attacks, sleeping even less, and just in general freaking out. I feel like I can't quit or go part time. I feel trapped. I'm failing my classes. Any outsider's perspectives on this situation? Thanks.
Answer:
I doubt very many people can work 50 hours a week plus do well in college. The truth is, for each hour you spend in the classroom, you should be spending 4 or 5 on your own learning the material. What is the point of taking classes repeatedly because you haven't the proper time to devote to the material? I'm sure you've heard the phrase work smarter, not harder...you're spinning your wheels, and it seems your father is not helping. It's no wonder you're stressed out of your mind! You've got your father's overblown expectations hounding you! Of course you will get sick from time to time, and need a day off here and there...I wonder if getting away from your father would help you considerably.
You are putting too much pressure on yourself. If your father behaives that way towards you, and is not supportive, or encouraging that isnt going to help. I think you should find a new place to live ...and fast! That should loosen the anxiety. You need to move out of there, and look at ways to free up your schedule.
You need to give yourself a break. You are by no means lazy if you have been working the way you described your life to be. However, do know that working long hours may not be the best. Working smart is a far better approach. Sometimes, short term sacrifices must be taken into consideration when considering about long term goals. It may be that you should focus more on your classes, to give you the leverage and qualifications for a better job next time.

It is natural that you are having anxiety issues now. This is no way to live life. Read this article here on anxiety symptoms
http://www.healthandwellnesscentral.com/...

You should be careful there. You don't want to turn your anxiety into depression.
Parents like him don't "get it".They should be telling you to
work less to avoid being overwelmed with schoolwork and
other things.You need to get more sleep.Manage your day.Foreget what he says.You can do this.Look out for #1.
YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net